21 November 2010

the grinch

have you ever noticed that the second you think life is going great, Heavenly Father says "don't get too comfy. i'm about to give you some trials which will test you and hopefully strengthen your faith, bringing you closer to the person i want to mold you into."?

yes, this is for real.

and it happens. it's like life is hitting in the face with a ton of bricks. and you hate it.

sometimes i just wish i had enough money to solve all the worlds problems. but money doesn't solve anything. the only thing that ever has and will make people truly happy is love.

i was contemplating today if my family wasn't able to "have Christmas."no presents? a younger, more Grinch-like version of myself would have expired on the spot if i saw no presents under the tree on Christmas morn. but today, as i puzzled, i came to a miraculous conclusion.

"What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.

What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."



Christmas without presents? it would be ok. all i want is to be with my family and celebrate the birth of our Savior. What I really love about Christmas isn't the presents. I love giving, singing carols, reading Christmas books, sledding, skating, playing games, watching Miracle on 34th Street, sleeping together by the fireplace.


so life here is a challenge: throw at me what you will! i know that life is hard! but, with the help of God, i can do hard things!

disclaimer: these are random thoughts in my mind as i contemplate the trials newly arriving in my life and those i love.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. I totally agree, which gives me all the more reason to say we should get together sometime. You're a wonderful beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking the same thing lately! My Mom has been asking for a Christmas list and I've just been saying, "I don't want stuff. I just want to come home and have time to do happy stuff with you guys." You're awesome, I hope things go well for you! Let me know if I can help!

    ReplyDelete